This is the original Igbotic Egusi Soup served to good in-laws when they come to marry a special daughter.
Watch the video: Egusi Soup for Traditional Weddings [Video]
Recipes Related to Egusi Soup for Traditional Weddings:
Egusi Soup for Traditional Weddings Ingredients
- 1½ cups ground egusi
- 2 tablespoons dry ground achi
- Bitter leaf
- Shaki (Cow tripe)
- 2-3 cooking spoons red palm oil
- 1 teaspoon Ogiri Igbo
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 2 teaspoons ground crayfish
- Habanero / Scotch bonnet pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
Notes on the Traditional Egusi Soup Ingredients
- Achi is a thickener for this soup. If you do not have achi, you can use cocoyam, ofo, akparata etc. to thicken the soup. Click here to see me buy achi seeds in the market before grinding them.
- Add the meats and fish to your liking.
Directions for making the Traditional Egusi Soup
- Boil the meats and stockfish with the seasoning cubes till almost done.
- Add pepper, crayfish, ogiri Igbo, the ground egusi, bitter leaves and palm oil.
- Cover and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Mix the ground achi with water till a medium consistency is achieved (see video below).
- Cover and continue cooking till the soup thickens and has an overall yellow colour. This should take 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add salt to your taste and stir very well. It’s done!